Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban:" The Genius of Groucho Marx




"I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought I'd rather dance with the cows until you come home."

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

"Women should be obscene and not heard."

"I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book."

"Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!" (Groucho's last words).

4 comments:

--------- said...

Agust, I've enjoyed your posts and I enjoy your passion for film. Thanks.

I have an observation: Many of your posts tend to defend film, or the purpose of film. This has it's place, and it's good to do. Likewise one can defend the cause of philosophy... but at some point I would want to see philosophy in action. What I mean is: I'd like to see you walk me through a film 'meditatively.' I'm stuck by the fact that many people, often including myself, can watch a film and love it, think it moving, profound, etc, and yet have so little to say about the film. Does this mean we're missing out? Can you show us how to harvest more from a film? Can you teach us what it means to watch a film meditatively?

Anonymous said...

and can you teach by example?

agust symeon said...

That's a really good question. I don't think I can necessarily "teach" anyone to watch meditatively or poetically, but this is definately something worth talking about, something I strive for in my own viewing of films.

This is only an initial idea, something put forth as the beginning of a conversation: I think watching films meditatively has much to do with appreciating film as a visual medium. To let the images speak to us and not to project our thoughts on them to such an extent that whatever the film(maker) is trying to say is drowned out.

--------- said...

right, I think that's good advice, but do you think you could walk us through that with a specific film? For example, I liked what you wrote about "The Last Picture Show" but I think you also turned it into a defense for film. Like I said, that's good too, just like meta-philosophy/philosophy on philosophy is good, but I'd also like to see the defense of film manifest in a film itself.